Researchers in the SECCYD Network collected data on families at 10 sites affiliated with the following universities:
- Temple University
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- Harvard University and Wellesley College
- University of California, Irvine
- University of Kansas
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Virginia
- University of Washington, Seattle
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
To manage the data, the Network relied on a data coordinating center. In addition, the SECCYD was conducted with the scientific guidance and oversight of the NICHD; the SECCYD scientific coordinator is a researcher at the NICHD, located at the NIH in Bethesda, Maryland.
The SECCYD datasets contain thousands of pieces of information collected over 16 years, which are maintained in an archive at the University of Michigan. Funding for the SECCYD ended in 2009. However, the use and analysis of the data is ongoing.