There are common questions that we can answer about all health topics, such as "What is it?" and "How many people are affected." Answers to these questions are found under Condition Information. Each health topic frequently has specific questions that pertain only to that topic. We have answered those in this section.
Can stroke be prevented?
Making healthy choices and managing medical conditions can diminish your risk of stroke. These include:
- Eating a healthy diet, which includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and foods low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Staying physically active
- Not smoking
- Limiting alcohol use
- Checking your cholesterol
- Monitoring your blood pressure
- Managing diabetes
- Taking medication to treat high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes
- Talking to your health care provider regularly about preventing or treating the medical conditions that lead to heart disease or increase your risk of stroke1
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2012). Stroke. Retrieved August 7, 2012, from http://www.cdc.gov/stroke/ [top]