Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC): For Researchers and Health Care Providers
- The NICHD Neonatal Research Network (NRN) is funded by the Pregnancy and Perinatology Branch. This is a network of academic centers that combined can answer critical research questions pertaining to the advancement of neonatal care more quickly than any one center could alone.
- The NRN maintains a database of Extremely Preterm Birth Outcomes. This resource allows a researcher or health care professional to enter a set of characteristics, including gestational age at birth, weight, sex, etc., and get average outcomes from the database for the group of infants with those characteristics. This information is not intended to predict an outcome for a specific infant.
- The NRN website contains information about the network, including sites and principal investigators at those sites, and offers a variety of tools and links as well as an up-to-date list of publications and ongoing clinical studies.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics(AAP) provides a wide array of professional services, including a searchable database of PowerPoint presentations at its national meetings. For examples, access the search results for necrotizing enterocolitis.
- The AAP Committee on Fetus and Newborn "studies issues and current advances in fetal and neonatal care; makes recommendations regarding neonatal practice; collaborates with the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) to consider perinatal issues on which the practices of obstetrics and pediatrics merge; and works cooperatively with ACOG on new editions of Guidelines for Perinatal Care."
- The AAP Section on Surgery includes a variety of guidelines and links to newsletters, including the Pediatric Surgery Update.
- The AAP Section on Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition "is dedicated to improving the care of infants, children, and adolescents with gastrointestinal and nutritional disorders by providing an educational forum for the discussion of problems and treatments relating to gastroenterology, hepatology, and nutrition." The site contains links to numerous related clinical practice guidelines.
Please note: Links to organizations and information included on this page do not indicate endorsement from the NICHD, NIH, or HHS.
Last Updated Date: 11/30/2012
Last Reviewed Date: 11/30/2012