|2008-present ||Associate Editorial Board, International Journal of Molecular Epidemiology and Genetics |
|2007-present ||Academic Editor, Public Library of Science (PLoS) ONE |
|2003-present ||Ad Hoc Reviewer: JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, Archives of Internal Medicine, American Journal of Human Genetics, American College of Clinical Nutrition, American Journal of Epidemiology, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Canadian Medical Association Journal, Circulation, European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, European Journal of Clinical Investigation, Endocrinology, Diabetes, Diabetes Care, Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Hypertension, Metabolism, Obesity Research, Obesity, PLoS Genetics, PLoS Medicine |
|2006 ||Expert Panelist, CDC Expert Panel for Gestational Diabetes Beyond Pregnancy |
|2008 ||Grant Reviewer, Michigan Center for Diabetes Research |
|2009 ||Grant Reviewer, Board of Regents Support Fund Research and Development Program, Louisiana Board of Regents |
|2008-present ||NICHD representative, National Institutes of Health Road Map Genotyping/Gene Expression Working Group Committee |
|2008-present ||Core Member, NICHD/National Institutes of Health Obesity Research Core |
|2011-present ||Member of the Steering Committee for the Global Pregnancy Colaboratory which aims to support efforts to harmonize data to answer pressing questions on pregnancy outcomes requiring collaborative efforts and mega databases worldwide |
G. RESEARCH SUPPORTS
Ongoing Research Support
Intramural – National Institutes of Health
Diabetes & Women’s Health Study- a study of long-term health implications of gestational diabetes (2010-2015) ($8,485,403.00)
A large retrospective cohort study to investigate the biological, genetic, and lifestyle determinants for the progression from gestational diabetes to type 2 diabetes and related cardiometabolic complications.
Novel metabolic biochemical markers & gestational diabetes (2008-2013) ($4,616,527.00; nested in the NICHD Fetal Growth Studies and the EAGeR trial)
A prospective study to determine the role of novel cardiometabolic bio-markers and targeted and non-targeted metabolomics in the pathogenesis and prediction of gestational diabetes and related pregnancy complications.
Fetal exposure to hyperglycemia and smoking and cardiometabolic disorders in childhood (2012- 2016) ($2,430,000.00 Pending; Funding agency: FDA) A retrospective cohort study of 800 mother-child pairs to investigate the impact of fetal exposure to hyperglycemia and smoking and adverse health outcomes in childhood and to discover underlying molecular mechanisms.
NICHD Fetal Growth Studies: singletons and twins (2008-2013)
A multicenter prospective observational study (1) to establish a U.S. national standard for normal fetal growth (velocity) and size for gestational age; (2) to create an individualized standard for optimal fetal growth; and (3) to improve accuracy of fetal weight estimation.
(PI: Dr. Buck Louis G)
The Effects of Aspirin in Gestation and Reproduction (EAGeR) Study (2008-2012)
The study is to assess the efficacy and safety of low dose aspirin + folic acid on the prevention of early pregnancy failure and later pregnancy events compare to folic acid alone
(PI: Dr. Schisterman E)
Extramural- National Institutes of Health
Dietary iron supplement and iron metabolism biomarkers in pregnancy and the risk of gestational diabetes (2012-2013) (Role: Mentor; PIs Drs. Bao & Bowers)
This project is supported by Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health
Longitudinal study of dietary patterns in pregnancy (2008-2012) (PI: Dr. Grewal J)
This project is supported by Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health
Longitudinal measurements of dietary caffeine intake and biochemical markers in women participating in the BioCycle Study. (2010-2012) (PI: Dr. Schisterman E)
This project is supported by Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health
Completed Research Support
Intramural – National Institutes of Health
Confirmation of genetic signals from genome wide association study of adiposity (2008-2012)
(Role: Principal Investigator)
To identify genome wide genetic signals that may predispose to abdominal adiposity.
Extramural- National Institutes of Health (2007-2011)
NIDDK K01: Genetic Factors, Gene-Environment Interaction, and the Risk of Gestational Diabetes (Role: Principal Investigator)
Selected for funding, terminated due to the change of appointment.
H. PUBLICATIONS PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
** Mentee first authored publication
- Ware-Jauregui S, Sanchez S, Zhang C, Larraburre G, King IB, Williams MA. Plasma lipid concentrations in preeclamptic and normotensive Peruvian women. Intl J Gynecol 1999;67:147-55.
- Sanchez S, Zhang C, Williams MA, Ware-Jauregui S, Laraburre G, Bazul V, Farrand A. Tumor necrosis factor-α soluble receptor p55 (sTNFp55) and risk of preeclampsia in Peruvian women. J Reprod Immunol 2000;47:49-63.
- Sanchez S, Zhang C, Malinow MR, Ware-Jauregui S, Laraburre G, Williams MA. Plasma folate, vitamin B12 and homocyst(e)ine concentrations in preeclamptic and normotensive Peruvian women. Am J Epidemiol 2001;153:474-80.
- Zhang C, Williams MA, Sanchez S, King I, Ware-Jauregui S, Laraburre G, Bazul V, Leisenring WM. Plasma carotenoids, retinol and tocopherols in preeclamptic and normotensive pregnant women. Am J Epidemiol 2001;153:572-80.
- Zhang C, Williams MA, King IB, Dashow EE, Sorensen TK, Frederick IO, Thompson ML, Luthy DA. Vitamin C and the risk of preeclampsia-results from dietary questionnaire and plasma assay. Epidemiology 2002;13:409-16.
- Sanchez SE, Zhang C, Williams MA. The influence of maternal triglyceride levels on low birth weight in preeclamptic and normotensive Peruvian Women. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2003;13:328-33.
- Sanchez SE, Zhang C, Qiu C, Williams MA. Family history of hypertension and type 2 diabetes in relation to preeclampsia risk among peruvian women. Gynecol Obstet Inves 2003;56:128-32.
- Williams MA, Sanchez SE, Zhang C, Bazul V. Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase 677 C → T Polymorphism and Plasma Folate in Relation to Preeclampsia Risk among Peruvian Women. J Maternl -Fetal Neonatal Med 2004;15:337-44.
- Zhang C, Williams MA, Sorensen TK, King IB, Thompson ML, Leisenring WM, Dashow E. A prospective study of maternal plasma ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) concentrations and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). Epidemiology 2004;15:597-604.
- Qiu C, Luthy D, Zhang C, Williams MA. A Prospective Study of Maternal Serum C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Concentrations and Risk of Preeclampsia. Am J Hypert 2004;17:154-60.
- Zhang C, Williams MA, Sorensen TK, Frederick IO, King IB, Thompson ML, Kestin MM, Dashow E. A case-control study of vitamin C and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM)-results from dietary questionnaire and plasma assay J Reprod Med 2004;49:257-66.
- Austin MA, Zhang C, Humphries SE, Chandler WL, Talmud PJ, Edwards KL, Leonetti DL, McNeely MJ, Fujimoto WY. Heritability of C-reactive protein and association with apolipoprotein E genotypes in Japanese Americans. Ann Hum Genet 2004;68:179-88.
- Frederick IO, Williams MA, Dashow E, Kestin M, Zhang C, Leisenring WM. Dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, and calcium, in relation to the risk of preeclampsia. J Reprod Med 2005; 50:322-44.
- Enquobahrie DA, Sanchez SE, Muy-Rivera M, Qiu C, Zhang C, Austin MA, Williams MA. Hepatic lipase gene polymorphism, pre-pregnancy overweight status and risk of preeclampsia among Peruvian women. Gynecological Endocrinology 2005; 21:211-17.
- Qi L, Li T, Rimm EB, Zhang C, Rifai N, Hunter DJ, Doria A and Hu FB. Adiponectin genotypes in relation to plasma adiponectin concentration and risk of cardiovascular disease in diabetic men. Diabetes 2005; 54:1607-10.
- Zhang C, Williams MA, Edwards KL, Austin MA. Trp64Arg polymorphism of the β3-adrenergic receptor gene, pre- pregnancy obesity and risk of preeclampsia. J Maternl-Fetal Neonatal Med 2005;17:19-28.
- Zhang C, Austin MA, Edwards KL, Farin FM, Li N, Hsu L, Srinouanprachanh S, Williams MA. Variants of the lipoproptein lipase gene and preeclampsia Risk. Clin Genetics 2005;69:33-39.
- Zhang C, Lopez-Ridaura R, Rimm EB, Rifai N, Hunter DJ, Hu FB. Interactions between the 514 C-T variant of the hepatic lipase gene and lifestyle factors in relation to high density-lipoprotein concentrations among US diabetic Men. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;81:1429-35.
- Zhang C, Lopez-Ridaura R, Rimm EB, Li T, Hunter DJ, Hu FB. Genetic variation at the hepatic lipase gene and risk of coronary heart disease among US diabetic men: potential interaction with obesity. Diabetologia 2006;49:1552-9.
- Zhang C, Liu S, Solomon CG, Hu FB. A prospective study of dietary fiber intake and glycemic load in relation to the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2006;29:2223-30.
- Zhang C, Qi L, Hunter DJ, Meigs JB, Manson JE, van Dam RM, Hu FB Variant of transcription factor 7-like 2 gene and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in large cohorts of U.S. women and men. Diabetes 2006;55:2645-8.
- Zhang C, Schulze MB, Solomon CG, Hu FB. A prospective Study of dietary patterns and meat intake and the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus: the Nurses’ Health Study II. Diabetologia 2006;49:1552-9.
- Zhang C, Lopez-Ridaura R, Hunter DJ, Rifai N, Hu FB. Genotypes and haplotypes of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene and the risk of coronary heart disease among US diabetic men. Diabetes 2006;55:2140-7.
- Zhang C, Solomon CG, Manson JE, Hu FB. A prospective study of physical activity in relation to the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:543-8.
- Qi L, Zhang C, van Dam R, Hu FB Interleukin-6 genetic variability and adiposity: associations in two prospective cohorts and systematic review in 26,944 individuals. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:3618-25.
- Li T, Zhang C, Rimm EB, Hunter DJ, Hu FB Interactions Between The CETP TAQ1 variants and lifestyle factors in relation to high density-lipoprotein levels and risk of coronary heart disease among US diabetic men. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86:1524-9.
- Qi L, Zhang C, Hu FB, Greenberg A Common variations in perilipin gene, central obesity, and risk of type 2 diabetes in US women. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:1061-5.
- Qi L, Kang K, Zhang C, Kraft P, Hunter D, and Hu FB FTO gene variant is associated with obesity: longitudinal analyses of two cohort studies. Diabetes 2008;57:3145-51.
- Heidemann C, Sun Q, van Dam RM, Meigs JB, Zhang C, Tworoger S, Mantzoros CS, Hu FB A prospective study of plasma total and high-molecular weight adiponectin and resistin in relation to the risk of type 2 diabetes in Women. Ann Intern Med 2008;149:307-16.
- Zhang C, Qiu C, David RM, Bralley A, Williams MA Maternal plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3753-58.
- Zhang C, Rexrode KM, van Dam RM, Li TY, Hu FB Abdominal adiposity and mortality in women: 16-year Follow-up of the Nurses’ Health Study. Circulation 2008;117:1658-67.
- Qi L, Cornelis M, Zhang C, van Dam R, Hu FB Genetic predisposition, western dietary pattern, and the risk of type 2 diabetes in men. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:1453-8.
- Klebanoff M, Zhang J, Zhang C, Levine R. Maternal serum theobromine and the subsequent Development of preeclampsia. Am J of Epidemiol 2009;20:727-32.
- Gaskins A, Mumford S, Zhang C, Wactawski-Wende J, Hovey K, Howards P, et al. Impact of daily fiber intake on reproductive function. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;90:1061-9.
- Cornelis M, Qi L, Zhang C, van dam R, Hu FB. Joint effects of common genetic variants on the risk of type 2 diabetes in U.S. men and women of European ancestry Ann Intern Med 2009;150:541-50.
- Lindgren CM, Heid I, … Zhang C, … McCarthy MI for Giant Consortium. Genome wide association scan meta-analysis identifies three loci influencing adiposity and fat distribution PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000508-518.
- He C**, Zhang C, Hunter D, Louis G, Hediger M, Hu FB. Age at menarche and risk of type 2 diabetes: Results from two large prospective cohorts Am J Epidemiol 2009 Dec 21. [Epub ahead]
- Cui W, Zhang C, Song Y Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) deliver breakthroughs in identifying type 2 diabetes susceptibility genes in the general population. North America Journal of Medicine and Science 2009;2:e140-45.
- Yang H, Wei Y, Gao X, Zhang C on behalf of China National GDM Survey Working Group Risk factors for gestational diabetes-A study of 16, 286 pregnant women in China. Diabetic Medicine 2009;26:1099-104.
- Chen L**, Hu FB, Yeung E, Willett W, Zhang C A Prospective study of pre-gravid consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2009;32: 2236-41.
- Yeung E**, Hu FB, Solomon CG, Chen L, Louis GM, Schisterman E, Willett WC, Zhang C. Life-course weight characteristics and the risk of gestational diabetes. Diabetologia 2010;53:668-78.
- Shi Z, Yuan B, Zhang C, Zhou M, Holmboe-Ottesen G Egg consumption and the risk of diabetes in adults, Jiangsu, China. Nutrition 2011;27:194-8.
- Yeung E**, Zhang C, Louis G, Willett W, Hu F. Childhood size and life course weight characteristics in association with the risk of incident type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010;33:1364-9.
- He M, Cornelis M, Franks PW, Zhang C, Hu FB, Qi L Obesity genotype score and cardiovascular risk in women with type 2 diabetes. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2010;30:327-32
- Schisterman E, Gaskins A, Mumford S, Browne R, Yeung E, Gross M, Trevisan M, Hediger M, Zhang C, Wactawski-Wende J, Perkins N, Hovey K. The influence of endogenous reproductive hormones on F2-isoprostane levels in premenopausal women: The BioCycle Study Am J of Epidemiol 2010;172:430-9
- Mumford SL, Schisterman EF, Siega-Riz AM, Gaskins AJ, Steiner AZ, Zhang C, Perkins NJ, Trevisan M, Browne RW, Wactawski-Wende J. Changes in lipoproteins due to endogenous reproductive hormones during the menstrual cycle J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:E80-5.
- Gaskins AJ, Mumford SL, Rovner AJ, Zhang C, Chen L, Wactawski-Wende J, Perkins NJ, Schisterman EF; for the BioCycle Study Group. Whole Grains Are Associated with Serum Concentrations of High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein among Premenopausal Women. J Nutr. 2010;140:1669-76.
- Yeung E**, Zhang C, Ye A, Chen L, Mumford S, Perkins N, Wactawski-Wende J, Schisterman E. Longitudinal study of insulin resistance and sex hormones over the menstrual cycle. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:5435-42
- Yeung E**, Zhang C, Hediger ML, Wactawski-Wende J, Schisterman EF. Racial Difference in the Association between Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and Adiposity in Premenopausal Women: The BioCycle Study. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2274-6.
- Rudra CB, Wactawski-Wende J, Schisterman EF, Hovey KM, Browne RW, Zhang C, Hediger ML Energy expenditure and plasma F2-isoprostane concentrations across the menstrual cycle. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2010;43:785-92
- Tobias DK**, Zhang C, van Dam RM, Hu FB A meta-analysis of physical activity levels before pregnancy or in early pregnancy and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2011;34:223-9
- Zhang F, Dong L, Zhang C, Li B, Gao W, Sun S, Tian H, Tuomilehto J, Qi L, Yu Z, Yang X, Hu G Increasing prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus in Chinese women from 1999 to 2008 Diabetic Medicine 2011;28:652-657
- Qiu C, Frederick IO, Zhang C, Sorensen TK, Enquobahrie DA, Williams MA Risk of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Relation to Maternal Early Pregnancy Egg and Cholesterol Intake. Am J of Epidemiol 2011;173:649-58
- Tobias DK**, Hu FB, Forman JP, Chavarro J, Zhang C Increased risk of hypertension after GDM –Findings from a large prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:1582-4
- Bowers K**, Yeung E, Williams MA, Qi L, Tobias DK, Hu FB, Zhang C A prospective study of pre-pregnancy dietary iron intake and risk for gestational diabetes Diabetes Care 2011;34:1557-63
- Qiu C, Zhang C, Gelaye B, Enquobahrie DA, Frederick IO, Williams MA. Gestational diabetes mellitus in relation to maternal dietary heme iron and nonheme iron intake Diabetes Care 2011; 34:1564-9.
- Chen L**, Zhang C, Yeung E, Ye A, Sumford S, Wactawski-Wende J, Schisterman EF Age at menarche and metabolic markers for diabetes in premenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E1007-12
- Pan X, Zhang C, Shi Z. Soft drink and sweet food consumption and suicidal behaviours among Chinese adolescents. Acta Paediatr. 2011;100:e215-22.
- Zhang F, Dong L, Zhang C, Li B, Wen J, Gao W, Sun S, Lv F, Tian H, Tuomilehto J, Qi L, Zhang C, Yu Z, Yang X, Hu G. Increasing prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus in Chinese women from 1999 to 2008. Diabet Med 2011;28:652-7
- Yeung E**, Qi L, Hu FB, Zhang C Novel abdominal adiposity genes and the risk of type 2 diabetes: findings from two prospective cohorts In J Mol Epi Gent 2011;2:138-44
- Bowers K**, Hu G, Yu Z, Yang X, Klebanoff M, Yeung E, Zhang C. Birth weight, postnatal weight gain and high blood pressure among Chinese children 3-7 years old: a population based study. Pediatrics 2011;127:e1272-9.
- Zhang C, Ning Y. Effect of dietary and lifestyle factors on the risk for gestational diabetes: Review of epidemiologic evidence. Am J Clin Nutr 2011;94:1975S-9S
- Yeung E**, Zhang C, Chen J, Kang G, Bowers K, Hu FB, Qi L Polymorphisms in the Neuropeptide Y gene and the risk of obesity: findings from two prospective cohorts J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011;96:E2055-62.
- Qi Q, Workalemahu T, Zhang C, Hu FB, Qi L Genetic variants, plasma lipoprotein(a) levels and risk of cardiovascular incidence and mortality among two prospective cohorts of type 2 diabetes Eur Heart J 2012;33:325-34.
- Bowers K**, Zhang C Maternal diabetes and autism spectrum disorders in the offspring: a review of epidemiological evidence and potential biologic mechanisms N A J Med Sci 2011;4:217-21.
- Chen J, Kang G, VanderWeele T, Zhang C, Mukherjee B. Efficient designs of gene-environment interaction studies: implications of Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium and gene-environment independence Stat Med. 2012 Feb 24.
- Yeung E**, Zhang C, Schisterman E Adiposity and sex hormones across the menstrual cycle: the BioCycle Study In J Obesity (Lond). 2012 Feb 7 [Epub ahead of print]
- Schliep KC, Schisterman EF, Mumford SL, Pollack AZ, Zhang C, Ye A, Stanford JB, Ahmad O. Hammoud AO, Porucznik CA, Wactawski-Wende J Caffeinated beverage intake and reproductive hormones among premenopausal women in the BioCycle Study Am J Clin Nutr 2012;95:488-97
- Bowers K**, Tobias D, Yeung E, Hu FB, Zhang C A prospective study of pre-pregnancy dietary fat intake and risk for gestational diabetes Am J Clin Nutr 2012;95:446-53.
- Chen L**, Yeung E, Hu FB, Willett W, Zhang C Pre-pregnancy consumption of fruits and fruit juices and the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective cohort study Diabetes Care 2012;35:1079-81.
- Schliep KC, Schisterman EF, Mumford SL, Perkins NJ, Ye A, Pollack AZ, Zhang C, Christina A. Porucznik CA, VanDerslice JA, Stanford JB, Wactawski-Wende J Caffeine Validation Using Different Instruments in the BioCycle Study Am J Epidemiol 2012 in press
- Blondin SA, Yeung E, Mumford S, Zhang C, Browne RW, Wactawski-Wende J, Schisterman E Serum retinol and carotenoids in association with biomarkers of insulin resistance among healthy, premenopausal women: the BioCycle Study ISRN Nutrition 2012 in press
- Hu G, Tian H, Zhang F, Liu H, Zhang C, Zhang S, Liu G, Yu Z, Yang X, Qi L, Zhang C, Wang H, Li M, Wang L, Dong L, Heymsfield SB, Tuomilehto J. Tianjin Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Prevention Program: Study design, methods, and 1-year interim report on the feasibility of lifestyle intervention program. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2012 In press
- Wu J, Zhang C, Chen J Design cost-effective candidate gene and genome-wide association studies of mother-child pairs. Statistics and Its Interface 2012 in press
- Tobias DK**, Zhang C, Chavarro J, Bowers K, Rich-Edwards J, Rosner B, Mozaffarian D, Hu FB Prepregnancy adherence to dietary patterns and lower risk of gestational diabetes mellitus Am J Clin Nutr 2012;96:289-95.
- Gaskins AJ, Mumford SL, Chavarro J, Zhang C, Pollack AZ, Wactawski-Wende J, Perkins NJ, Schisterman EF The Impact of Dietary Folate Intake on Reproductive Function in Premenopausal Women: a Prospective Cohort Study PLoS ONE 2012 in press
- Zhang X, Qi Q, Zhang C, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L FTO Genotype and 2-year Change in Body Composition and Fat Distribution in Response to Weight-Loss Diets: the Pounds Lost Trial Diabetes 2012 in press
- Tobias DK**, Hu FB, Chavarro J, Rosner B, Mozaffarian, Zhang C Healthful dietary patterns and type 2 diabetes risk among women at high risk Tobias DK. Arch Intern Med 2012 in press
- Song Y, Yeung E, Liu A, VanderWeele TJ, Chen L, Lu C, Liu C, Schisterman EF, Ning Y, Zhang C Pancreatic Beta-cell function and type 2 diabetes risk: quantify the causal effect using a Mendelian randomization approach based on meta-analyses Hum Mol Genet 2012 in press
INVITED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Song Y, Zhang C, Liu S Endothelial adhesion molecules in diabetes in Modern Insights Into Disease From Molecules to Man: Adhesion Molecules Editor: Professor Victor R Preedy Springer New York 2009
- Zhang C Risk factors for gestational diabetes in Diabetes during and after Pregnancy Editor: Kim & Ferrara Springer Verlag London 2010
- Zhang C, Hu FB Determinants of Obesity in Maternal Obesity Editor: Gillman & Poston Cambridge University Press 2012
- Yeung E**, Zhang C Maternal Anthropometric Indices and Gestational Diabetes in Handbook of Anthropometry: Physical Measures of Human Form in Health and Disease Editor: Professor Victor R Preedy Springer, New York 2012
- Song Y, Yeung E, Zhang C Body size at birth and risk of type 2 diabetes in adult life in Handbook of Anthropometry: Physical Measures of Human Form in Health and Disease Editor: Professor Victor R Preedy Springer, New York 2012
I. INVITED PLENARY TALKS & SEMINARS (selected)
- Diabetes during and beyond pregnancy- a life course approach. The 4th Summit of Perinatal Medicine of China, Guangzhou, China, April, 2012
- Novel risk factors for gestational diabetes. China National Gestational Diabetes Symposium, Guangzhou, China, March, 2012
- Diabetes during and beyond pregnancy- an epidemiological perspective. Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, April, 2011
- Novel risk factors of gestational diabetes- from an epidemiological perspective. Clinical grand round, Oklahoma Diabetes Center, April, 2010
- Diabetes during and beyond pregnancy- long-term health implications of diabetes during pregnancy. Kelly West Annual Lecture University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, April, 2010.
- Impact of diet and lifestyle factors on the risk for gestational diabetes: Review focusing on epidemiologic evidence international Conference of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, Munich, May, 2010.
- Stages of the lifecycle and risk for onset and progression of diabetes and its complications. The 70th American Diabetes Association Annual Scientific Sessions, June, 2010.
- Etiology and prevention of gestational diabetes. 5th International Symposium on Diabetes in Pregnancy. Sorrento, Italy, March, 2009.
- Genetic and modifiable risk factors for gestational diabetes- an update. John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, November, 2008.
- Genetic, diet and lifestyle factors and the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus. Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA, April, 2007.
- Epidemiology/risk of developing type 2 diabetes for women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus. CDC Conference on Gestational Diabetes Beyond Pregnancy, Atlanta, GA, USA, April, 2007.
- Genetic and lifestyle factors in relation to the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, NICHD, NIH, Rockville, MD, USA December, 2006.
- Physical activity in relation to the risk for gestational diabetes mellitus Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA, January, 2005.
- The role of vitamin C in the development of gestational diabetes mellitus Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, June, 2003.
- Vitamin C and gestational diabetes mellitus Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of South Carolina, SC, USA, June, 2003.
- Plasma carotenoids, retinol and tocopherols in preeclamptic and normotensive pregnant Women (Award presentation) Annual Meeting of Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, Seattle, WA, USA, June, 2000.
J. TEACHING & MENTORING (since 2008)
Faculty/Instructor, Summer Institute in Reproductive and Perinatal Epidemiology, 2010, 2011.
Jointly sponsored by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health and the Canadian Institute for Health Research (lecturing ‘Genetic Epidemiology’ and ‘Pregnancy Complications’)
NIH Summer Interns
|2008 ||Chunyan He, Departments of Epidemiology and Genetics and Complex Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health (Currently, Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Indiana University) |
|2009 ||Deirdre Banel, Doctoral Student of Epidemiology and Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health |
|2010 ||Eric Shiroma, Doctoral Student of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health. |
|2011 ||Jennifer Brite, MPH student of Epidemiology, Columbia University |
|2012 ||Kelly Martin, MPH student of Epidemiology, George Mason University |
NIH Intramural Research Training Award Postdoctoral Fellows (IRTAs)
|2008-2009 || Liwei Chen, MD, PhD (Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University), (Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Louisiana State University, 2009-2012; Chief Epidemiologist, MERK, 2012) |
|2008-2011 ||Edwina Yeung, PhD (Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University) (Currently, Tenure-track Investigator, NICHD/NIH) (Co-mentored with Dr. Enrique Schisterman) |
|2009-2011 ||Katherine Bowers, PhD (Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University), (Currently, Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center) |
|2011 ||Wei Bao, MD, PhD (Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China) |
Award Received by IRTA Fellows:
Katherine Bowers, PhD, the Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE) 2011, National Institutes of Health for her work entitled “Postnatal weight gain and high blood pressure among Chinese children”
Outstanding Plenary Presentation Award: Tobias D, Zhang C, Chavarro J, Bowers K, Hu F Pre-pregnancy adherence to dietary patterns and decreased risk of gestational diabetes mellitus Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, 2011
Poster Award: Bowers K, Tobias D, Edwina Yeung E, Hu FB, Zhang C A prospective study of pre-pregnancy dietary fat intake and risk for gestational diabetes Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, 2011